Welcome to the February edition of RxStrategies’ 340B Insider, a concise communication to provide a quick highlight of updates from RxStrategies’ view. Visit our website to read more.
UPDATES FROM THE 340B COALITION WINTER CONFERENCE
RxStrategies Plays Proactive Role at 340B Coalition Winter Conference
It was great to connect with so many industry leaders during the conference. Thank you to those who were able to stop by our booth or visit with the RxStrategies team between sessions. We hosted a number of our current and prospective clients during the conference. In addition to being a Pinnalce Leader Sponsor of the conference, our team was pleased to sponsor the Charity Fun Run/Walk, helping to raise $11,194 for HealthRIGHT 360.
RxStrategies’ key take-aways from conference:
- The Office of Management and Budget (OMB) withdrew draft “mega-guidance” for the 340B Drug Pricing Program that would have restricted eligibility for discounts under the program.
- Strong focus and discussions of increased Covered Entity (CE) responsibility for driving 340B program integrity and compliance. Proactive CE internal audits should be occurring regularly. With RxStrategies’ support, 340B CompliancePlus (self-audi
ts portal) can be a powerful solution in assisting CEs ensure 340B Program integrity.
- RxStrategies CEO Fenton Markevich was a panel presenter, sharing perspectives and information on a range of 340B hot topics, including Medicaid Managed Care (MMC). Best practices for states adopting MMC were shared.
- On the legislative/regulatory front, RxStrategies participated in breakfast meetings during the conference to remain proactive to any potential changes impacting the 340B program.
- The RxStrategies’ team participated in discussions with CEs regarding the development of Impact Profiles, an important tool 340B CEs can use to describe how their 340B savings help them care for low-income, rural, and otherwise vulnerable populations. Impact Profiles are important for CEs to complete because it helps both Congressional Representatives and members of the CEs’ community understand the impact 340B savings of access to care for real people.
- RxStrategies client Medical Associates Plus was a presenter for, “Preparing for HRSA Audits, Taking Corrective Action and Responding to Manufacturer Inquiries.” Valuable insight was shared regarding a Covered Entity preparation and response to a HRSA audit notice, manufacturer communications regarding 340B drug use and the internal audit process.
- To view conference presentations, click here (username and password is needed).
340B INDUSTRY NEWS
HHS Withdraws 340B Mega-Guidance
The Department of Health and Human and Human Services has withdrawn the final 340B program mega-guidance from White House review. The Office of Budget and Management announced the action on its Reginfo.gov website. Click here to view.
Tom Price Takes Helm at Health and Human Services
Rep. Tom Price, MD (R-Ga.) was confirmed as Secretary of Health and Human Services. See the Swearing-In of HHS Secretary here. Dr. Price has been a leading voice in the House of Representatives on health care matters. He earned his medical degree from the University of Michigan, did his surgical residency at Emory University and served as medical director of the Orthopedic Clinic at Grady Memorial Hospital in Atlanta. All are 340B providers.
President Trump’s nominee for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Seema Verma testified before the Senate Finance Committee on Februay 16. The President has not yet announced his pick for HRSA Administrator.
Grassley Investigating Orphan Drug Program
Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) is gathering information on possible misuses of the orphan drug program and how that might affect drug prices. Sen. Grassley, who chairs the Senate Judiciary Committee, said his staff is “meeting with interested groups and other Senate staff to get their views on the extent of the problem and how we might fix it.” Read his statement>
REMINDER: All Health Centers Participating in 340B Must Recertify by February 22
All health centers currently enrolled in the 340B program must annually recertify that they are eligible to purchase drugs at 340B prices, and that they, and all their contract pharmacies, are fully compliant with all 340B requirements. All participating health centers should have received an email from HRSA with instructions on how to recertify. Go to HRSA for more info.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
Join the RxStrategies’ team at the following upcoming conferences:
OACHC 2017 Annual Conference
Feb. 27 – Mar. 1 | Columbus, Ohio
NACHC Policy and Issues Forum
Mar. 29 – April 1 | Washington, D.C.
2017 Spring Hospital Pharmacy Conference
May 1 – 7 | Los Angeles